Teen Smoking from a Teen’s Perspective

22 Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 20 Pin It Share 0 22 Flares ×

Smoking is pretty gross to me. Just the smell of cigarette smoke makes me feel nauseous and every time I see someone smoking, there is a brief moment of confusion during which I think, “People still do that?” Luckily none of my friends smoke and I’m not sure if I would still be friends with them if they did. But all year I noticed that there are a lot of people at my school who are smokers. I saw people in the parking lot every morning before school, standing in a circle, passing a cigarette around. On my walk to the bus after school, I would pass a small group who stood in the middle of the front lawn outside of school and smoked. There were others who were more discreet and smoked in the tiny crevice on the side of the school but it seemed like most of them didn’t care whether they got caught or not. There was a girl in my gym class who would smoke as we walked around the track even though we passed the teachers twice on every turn.
I never really understood why people till decide to start smoking. I get that it is incredibly difficult to stop but starting even though you know all of the terrible risks involved just seems stupid. In health class this year my teacher showed us photos of cancers caused by smoking and second-hand smoke. We all looked in disgust at these awful pictures and were horrified that this could happen to us. Most of us signed pledges to not smoke and one girl made a promise in front of us to quit smoking and from what I was of her later that year, she kept this promise. I feel like schools are trying their best to show us the dangers of smoking but I feel like people just don’t care.

About Sabreena

Sabreena is the 18 year old daughter of Rob and Melinda, owners of LookWhatMomFound...and Dad too! Today's teens have opinions about more than just shoes and music. Sabreena is sharing her opinions about the world around her through this blog. Her posts can be found here, http://lookwhatmomfound.com/category/everyday-life/from-the-teen.

Comments

1. Karen Biedronski says:

Well written, Sabreena! I just want to add that as an adult when I would find out that someone I knew smoked, say a coworker, my opinion of them and their IQ dropped significantly. I never understood the allure of puffing on something that smelled so bad! And I still remember my third-grade teachers doing a simple demonstration in school. Miss Wright lit a cigarette, inhaled once, and exhaled through a white Kleenex, showing us the nasty brown stain that would be left on our lungs. Pretty powerful image.

2. Melinda says:

thanks so much for stopping by “Jake’s Mom” :)
    smoking is gross, hoping those certain family members read this and get the hint

3. Smoking is a very nasty habit! Stick to your guns and never give in. Really, it’s a lose-lose deal. From the money spent on the cancer sticks to the health risks.

4. Alison says:

Wow I can’t believe the teachers didn’t say anything to that girl smoking while walking the track. It’s a shame that kids that young, I’m assuming under 18, that are getting the smokes when it’s illegal.
    Keep it up Sabreena, stay away from those cancer sticks!

5. Jennifer @ Mom Spotted says:

Truth they think it’s cool and by the time they realize how uncool it really is they are already addicted. Great post. Good job Sabreena!!!

6. I never understood the attraction either. I guess lot of people feel the dangers only happen with you’re older so live it up now.

I worked in health care and had a patient with end stage lung disease on oxygen tell a student who smoked that it wasn’t until after she quit that her husband told her it use to disgust him to kiss her. She then asked the student if he wanted his girlfriend to be disgusted when kissing him. THAT was the one thing that caught his attention.

7. lisa p says:

Good for you! I wish I never started or picked it back up after 18 mos!

8. I’m not sure if this is a rant or a question to try to actually understand why people start. If it is a question, then there are a couple answers. It’s a way to rebel, and it helps gain acceptance with their peers. Haven’t you ever wanted to do something to impress your friends or to avoid embarrassment? Bad lungs twenty years from now doesn’t seem so bad compared to not having those two things right now. I obviously don’t endorse that, but I’m sure those are two of the reasons.

9. I’m glad you care, Sabreena.

And I’m glad you’re using your voice to spread the message. Kudos to you.

10. E. Keith Owens says:

According to the World Health Organization smoking kills more people than any disease in the world. For years the industry has focused on making smoking glamorous through advertising in movies television and billboards. While cigarette advertising is now controlled its influence can still be felt in the form of free samples smoking cartoons and the promise of cool merchandise that can be obtained in exchange for coupons printed on cigarette packs.

11. Jessica Beard says:

This is a well written post! It does surprise me that your teachers didn’t say anything as the kids walked by smoking. I also find it disgusting and extremely terrible for your body. Pictures shows in classes do not stop some though unfortunately. I think peer pressure is the cause of some kids in high school starting smoking and then it is hard to quit.