The stress is kicking in. I haven’t done enough prep to be ready for the holidays. I didn’t bake enough cookies, I didn’t make enough gifts, I didn’t assemble enough handmade ornaments. I DID however make another HUGE batch of Chex Mix. This time I went with a Sweet and Spicy version that would be good for the whole family. Rob loves spice but I wanted to make sure this one was tame enough for everyone to enjoy.
Chex Mix is one of those holiday and party staples. It’s easy to whip up and even easier to create a flavor mix that suits the season and the crowd’s tastebuds.
Open up your cabinets and see what you have on hand and start building something that will be a hit for years. Just remember to write down how you made it.
Sweet and Spicy Chex Mix
- 8 Cups Chex Mix (combo of Corn, Rice and/or Wheat)
- 1 bag of popped microwave popcorn
- 2 cups broken garlic bagel chips
- 3 cups small pretzels
- 1 cups nuts of choice
- 4 TBLS butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 pinches cayenne
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (more if desired)
- 2 TBLS olive oil
In a large microwave proof bowl combine all of cereal, snacks and nuts. In a small microwave bowl melt the butter and spices together, 30 seconds. Then add olive oil and hot sauce, stir and pour over the snack mix.
Mix thoroughly with a wooden or rubber spoon to spread the seasoning blend.
Put the large bowl in the microwave for 4-5 minutes stirring thoroughly at each minute interval.
Stir Stir Stir
Allow to cool then enjoy.
*If you want more heat increase the hot sauce and cayenne pepper.
This makes a giant portion, one that will lasts days for our family or for a get together. Package up individual treat bags to give as small gifts for teachers, neighbors or co-workers. Who doesn’t love a snack? If this recipe doesn’t sound good find many more on Chex.com or just click through to these delicious ideas
o Chex Muddy Buddies (the original!)
o Cinnamon Cider Chex
o Gingerbread Chex Mix
Enter to win a beautiful Party Box (shown below) to use for the holidays and all year. Tell me what your ideal Chex Mix flavor mix will include.
To receive these extra opportunities for entries, you must fulfill the first REQUIRED entry above. Please note the changes to the entries and frequency, entries that don’t follow rules may be disregarded/ignored/deleted
- SUBSCRIBE to LookWhatMomFound…and Dad too! via NEW Email Subscription.
- COMMENT on a recent Review/Our Life/Our Travels/Our Thoughts post, let us know where to find it
- FOLLOW @Melinda & @ChexCereal on Twitter and TWEET this giveaway (1 time per day), please leave your twitter link each time: For Holidays & Everyday, Chex Mix Party Box #Giveaway from @ChexCereal @anddadtoo @melindababiak
- SHARE this giveaway & below image on Google +, leave your link in comments below
- SHARE this giveaway & below image on Pinterest, leave your link in comments below
- SHARE this giveaway & below image on Instagram, leave your link in comments below
- SHARE this giveaway & below image on Facebook, leave your link in the comments below
Your entries must follow the rules or they won’t be eligible for prizes. This contest ends 11:59 pm, Tuesday , January 6, 2015. The winners will be emailed and will have 48 hours to claim their prize. This contest is open to Contiguous US residents, age 18 or over. For complete rules please read our blog contest rules page.