Oscar Worthy on Netflix #StreamTeam

The BIG SHOW is over and the awards have been handed out.  Honestly I didn’t get a chance to see too many of the nominated films this year while they were in theaters. Seeing all the fanfare and accolades during the Academy Awards makes me even more excited to see them now. So while you won’t find these films on Netflix yet I found some other movies starring some of this years winners.

NetFlix #StreamTeam

The director of this year Best Picture Winner, Birdman, Iñárritu is a Spanish language director and features many Hispanic actors in his films. Two of his films are available on Netflix if you would like to get a feel for his work. Biutiful featuring Javier Bardem and Amores Perros both of which are totally in Spanish. So if you do watch and you don’t speak Spanish, you’ll have to pay attention to subtitles. I loved the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the subtitles I think made me pay even closer attention and not get distracted during the film.Academy Award Nominated Biutiful by Iñárritu

Eddie Redmayne won Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role this year for his part as Steven Hawking in The Theory of Everything. This was a movie that I really wanted to see but I didn’t get the chance.

While there aren’t many movies featuring him, there is one excellent one on Netflix. For example there is no Les Miserables (hint, hint). My Week with Marilyn, which earned Michelle Williams a Golden Globe and a nomination for an Oscar, tells the story of Colin Clark, played by Eddie Redmayne as he spends a week with Marilyn Monroe in London when her husband, Arthur Millar leaves the country. Clark is in charge of keeping her entertained while her husband is away and keep her out of the public eye. The movie focuses on learning who Marilyn was as a person and not who the media made her out to be.

Julianne Moore was awarded an Academy Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role for Still Alice. I had not heard about this movie until I read the nominations but from what I can tell it is about how Julianne Moore’s character’s family deals with her Early-onset Alzheimer’s.

Some other movies with Moore are; What Maisie Knew, a movie my mom and I actually just watched a few months ago. It was really good and had a satisfying ending that didn’t make me sad, which I was happy about.  If you’re looking for more Oscar nominated movies with Julianne Moore, The Kids are Alright is on Netflix as well. I was too young to see this when it came out in 2010 but I’ve always wanted to go back and watch it. But it was nominated for Best Picture and Best Actress and Supporting Actor and Best Original Screenplay.The Kids Are Alright on Netflix

Patricia Arquette was the winner for Best Supporting Actress this year for her role as Olivia Evans in Boyhood. I did not see Boyhood, I don’t think it even came into any theatres near me. But I’ve heard lots of great things about it and I’m sure it’s wonderful. There are shockingly few movies with her on Netflix but you can always go back and watch her show Medium.

Holes is the only movie of hers that I had heard of that was on Netflix. It is technically a kid’s movie but it’s still a really good movie and she plays an awesome character in it. Watch it with your kids, it is a great movie for the whole family.

Other Oscar Winning and Nominated movies that can be found on Netflix

The Wolf of Wall Street

Silver Linings Playbook

Django Unchained

Hugo

Netflix is not only great for entertainment but it’s a great resource for finding actors and directors you never knew about.  I love seeing what else they recommend when I add something to my watch list.

About Sabreena

Sabreena is the 18 year old daughter of Rob and Melinda, owners of LookWhatMomFound...and Dad too! Today's teens have opinions about more than just shoes and music. Sabreena is sharing her opinions about the world around her through this blog. Her posts can be found here, http://lookwhatmomfound.com/category/everyday-life/from-the-teen.

Comments

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

There are so many things that I want to watch in Netflix. I need to make a list and get started.

2. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

3. I love Netflix. We stream all the time, and there a gazillion shows on there.

4. Debbie Denny says:

Great list. Love The Kids are Alright. Cool movie.

5. I really liked “The Kids are All Right” and “Silver Linings Playbook.” I’m so glad I can watch movies like them on Netflix anytime I want to.

6. Catherine S says:

I have been thinking about signing up for Netflix. Sounds like you can watch a lot of great stuff.

7. I think I want to see the kids are all right. I’ve heard some great things so I’m going to check out Netflix Canada and see about it!

8. You listed some great titles here! I can not get enough of Netflix and am looking forward to starting a new series soon.

9. ‘The Kids are Alright’ looks good! I guess I know what I’ll be watching tomorrow!

10. ‘The Kids are Alright’ looks good! I guess I know what I’ll be watching tomorrow!

11. I haven’t seen any of these movies! I have wanted to see Silver Linings Playbook for a long time.

12. This is the first year in quite some time that I had actually seen some of the nominated movies. I missed so many years that I’ll be depending on Netflix to help me get caught up.

13. I am still a Netflix virgin but I am truly getting sick of cable and their super high rates! There are ton of movies nominated this year that I didn’t get a chance to see so I have some major catching up to do! You would think having battled the Flu this year I would be all caught up on binge watching, but I am so not! LOL 🙂

14. Rosey says:

I want to see the Marilyn movie. My son and his wife have instant Netflix and my parent-in-laws have mail order Netflix. They both love it!

15. Ann Bacciaglia says:

Our family loves Netflix. There are so many great shows and movies to choose from.

16. Definitely some great Oscar picks! Django is something my husband wants to see

17. I loved the Wolf of Wall Street. It was a great film, a little gritty…but fabulous. I loved Jonah Hill in it too.

18. I for sure want to see this! We love Netflix.

19. I saw that The Kids are Alright was available for viewing. I haven’t check it out yet.

The Wolf of Wall Street – I saw this when it was on DVD. What an amazing movie.

Silver Linings Playbook – I caught this on Netflix when it was first released. I had heard so much about this movie but didn’t really know what it was about. Wow. Is all I can say. It was an amazing movie.

Django Unchained – Slave movies are always hard for me to watch. My ex husband (is black) grandmother and great grandmother shared family stories with us. It was heartbreaking and those tales have stuck with me in life.

Hugo – I still haven’t watched this. I need to.

20. Netflix has such a great selections of movies and shows. We never get tried of watching what Netflix has to offer.

21. sadly I didn’t watch any of the nominated films. I’ll watch them when they go to Netlix.