Do you know how happy I am to finally see bright blue skies and green grass. Hopefully we won’t see another flake of snow till next winter and the freezing temperatures are gone for good.
It’s spring time. That means time spent outside, grilling, sitting around the bonfire, enjoying fresher and tastier food and drinks and enjoying the new season. With these changes come new attitudes and cravings. I picked up a bag of limes from the farmers market and knew they were just the right thing to get everyone else into the same spirit as me.
Margaritas are always a hit for movie night but I wanted to shake things up a bit by switching out our typically snacks with something more refreshing. This is where my Coconut Lime Chex Mix happened.
A little imagination is all that was needed to make this fun and scrumptious treat. I always keep a good supply of ingredients on hand just for these special occasions.
The beauty of Chex Mix is the ability to create your own flavor combination. Put your favorite tastes together for a delicious sweet or savory snack or even dessert.
Coconut Lime Chex Mix
- 6-8 cups Chex Cereal of your choice
- 3-4 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup white chocolate chips or vanilla candy melts
- 4 tbls coconut oil or butter
- 1-2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp fresh lime zest
In a VERY large or 2 large plastic zipper closure bags add the cereal and popcorn mixture. In a microwaveable bowl or measuring cup melt the butter and chocolate chips till smooth and pourable. Add the lime juice and immediately pour over the cereal. Stir, shake and move till it coats as much of the mix as possible.
Add the coconut, sugar and lime zest and give the mixture another good shake or stir.
Let cool, add to large bowl and enjoy.
The white chocolate gives it a little extra sweetness but it can be skipped. I’d add a touch of vanilla to the melted butter though.
This is making another appearance for our upcoming girls night in as well as Easter dinner. Come up with your own Chex Mix creations just by adding a little bit of this and little but of that.
What do you think you can come up with if you were given $50 to shop with? A lucky LookWhatMomFound…and Dad too! reader will receive one just by simply telling me your favorite flavor combination of Chex Mix either already created or floating around in your creative mind.
To receive these extra opportunities for entries, you must fulfill the first REQUIRED entry above. Please note the changes to the entries and frequency, entries that don’t follow rules may be disregarded/ignored/deleted
- SUBSCRIBE to LookWhatMomFound…and Dad too! via NEW Email Subscription.
- COMMENT on a recent Review/Our Life/Our Travels/Our Thoughts post, let us know where to find it
- FOLLOW @Melinda & @ChexCereal on Twitter and TWEET this giveaway (1 time per day), please leave your twitter link each time: Create your own flavor of #ChexMix using @ChexCereal and #Win $50 GC from @melindababiak http://bit.ly/1Fi4Rhv
- SHARE this giveaway on Google +, leave your link in comments below
- SHARE this giveaway on Pinterest, leave your link in comments below
- SHARE this giveaway on Instagram, leave your link in comments below
- SHARE this giveaway on Facebook, leave your link in the comments below
Your entries must follow the rules or they won’t be eligible for prizes. This contest ends 11:59 pm, Tuesday, April 21, 2015. The winners will be emailed and will have 48 hours to claim their prize. This contest is open to Contiguous US residents, age 18 or over. For complete rules please read our blog contest rules page.