It’s all rage, this “No Knead Bread” recipe floating around the internet. I wouldn’t say that it’s completely No Knead because there is a time when there is about 5 minutes of pulling the bread together a couple hours before baking. I will admit that it is very very simple to make even though the directions look long and tedious. The wait time is the biggest struggle to deal with. This is an overnight process so plan ahead with a cheesy, soupy, saucy meal to go along with it…or not.
Eaten sliced, still warm with butter is the best way.
- 3 Cups of Flour
- 1/2 tsp active or rapid rise yeast
- 1 tbls Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2tbls warm water
- Dump all ingredients (not cornmeal) in a large glass bowl, stir, stir, stir until combined. This will look messy and wet and not like bread dough at all. That is exactly what want. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10-18 hours.
- 2 hours before you want to bake your bread dump the batter on a floured surface. With wet hands lightly turn edges into the middle of your bread dough. "Knead" for a couple minutes still smooth and place onto a floured clean, lint-free kitchen towel in a bowl. Cover again with plastic wrap and let rest for 2 hours.
- About an hour into the dough's rest time, crank up the heat in your oven to 450°. Place your large, heavy covered pot in the oven to get hot. Leave it there for at least 30 minutes while your dough finishes rising.
- Carefully pull your HOT pot out of the oven and using the towel drop the dough into the pot. There is no right side or wrong side of the dough. Replace the cover on your your pot, push back into the oven and let cook for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and continue to cook for an additional 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and immediately remove the bread from the pot. Remember everything is HOT so be careful.
- Let cool for several minutes then it's ready to enjoy.