Why Do I Put Myself Thru This?

So on Monday I found out starting in January my employer is changing how we are paid in regards to our shift differential. I receive a shift differential due to my schedule which is 2am-10am.

Currently we receive a shift differential for our full 8 hours. Starting in January we will only receive our shift differential up until 8am as well as you need to work at least 4 hours straight prior to 8am or you receive no shift differential that day just base pay. So if I come in at 4:30am for whatever reason no shift differential just base. My employer is also bumping the differential from 12% to 15% to help make up some of the money that is going to be lost which is the only positive thing in this whole situation.

Now I am not going to be effected money wise only because I will need to be in at 1:30-2am daily instead of a rotating 2 week schedule which we currently due. Right now I do 2 weeks at 1:30-2am and 2 weeks at 3am. You would think big deal it is only an hour difference but when you are only getting 3 hours sleep a night that extra hour now gives you 4 hours which is great. I guess I could still continue to rotate but would be losing money due to the shift differential change. I know everyone has choices (Melinda told me this, this morning when I called her to vent) but with this economy the way it is I am not willing to take a pay cut.

I am not really sure what the point of my post is. Maybe just to vent because I am ticked off at the change and am now forced to make changes I do not want to make.  I am greatful to be employed but it still sucks.

I guess I need to start looking for a job where I can work 8am – 5pm and then I won’t have to worry about shift differential or sleep deprivation.

Why Do I Put Myself Thru This?

Sorry for the rant but thanks for listening.

Comments

1. So sorry you have to go through this. My son worked overnights for a couple of years and sleep was always an issue.

2. Jessie Kaitlin says

Probably for the same reason my husband makes the drive to Berkeley Springs everyday, your family 🙂

Sorry you have to deal with them changing things though. I hope you can find a better job with the hours you need 🙂

3. Amanda says

If only employers would realize that if they were a little more flexible with the employees they currently have, there wouldn't be such a high turnover. Your employer has now put themselves in a position where I'm sure several people will start looking for something else that's more accomodating.

4. Sherri @ Luv a Bargain says

Rant away! I certainly admire anyone who can go without 8 hours of sleep a night.

5. Greg - Telling Dad says

I have no idea what a differential is and how they can possibly justify calculating it based on the clock and not the hours worked, but I'd be irritated too!

3 hours of sleep a night? Are you insane? You need more than this to function my man!

6. Amy's Stocking Stuffers says

That's the frustrating thing — we spend such a huge percentage of our lives working, and so many times some negative change is made and we have no control over it. 🙁

Don't apologize for venting! Hang in there!

7. Susan G. says

Sorry to hear you are going through this, my DH lost his shift differential last year and they cut out all overtime which make his check 1/3 of what is was before. We both decided that in the long run as long as he still had a job we would make do.

Glad you vented….

8. The Jacobsen Family! says

What a bummer! I'm so sorry! It stinks too, cause right now with the economy most employers are doing things like this because they know their employees will be happy that they have a job… LAME!
    You DEF need more sleep than that! How do you function?! Crazy!

9. Sorry you have to go through this – how frustrating – and tiring. My husband works swing – but he likes it – he goes to work at 2:30 (to get to the base on time) gets home about 12 am and then plays world of warcraft till morning light then sleeps till he has to go to work again. Hard for my little one and I but great for him. Of course he has recently got the pink slip along with many others…which means eventually moving again to another base.

Hope you make up for sleep this weekend!

10. Hobo Mama says

Vent away! I'm sorry to hear about the unfair change — and that you get 3 hours of sleep! Yipes. Hope you can find something that works for you.

11. Erin from Long Island says

Venting is good for the soul, I am glad you got it off your chest. Is there any way you can do all your hours always starting around 2 and getting off early? then go home and take a nap! 3 hours is far too little and it can be very dangerous for your health. be safe!

12. Terra H. says

Sorry to hear the not-so-good news. I usually go on 5 hrs. sleep and that's enough to put me in a constant state of exhaustion, so I can only imagine how less sleep would feel.
    I was informed not too long ago that all employees where I work have to take 3 unpaid days off from work. Not like I'm strapped enough for cash; now I have to go with less of a paycheck during the holiday season.