Letting kids help out in the kitchen takes practice, patience and trust. This is way before letting them near the fire or knives too. While I love to work on meals and baked goods myself I do know the benefit of letting the kids pitch in on some tasks. This week’s test was measuring.
We all know babies love measuring cups, spoons and bowls and adding a tub of water makes for hours of playtime. But as those babies grow they need to learn measuring is more than just dumping from one vessel to another. Make sure you invest in clearly marked cups and spoons . These OXO angled measuring cups are great because the markers are easy to read from above and on the side.
For some reason the kids and I had lots of time to spare before they headed off to school so I had them help me make a quick batch of mini cupcakes. Shaun and Shae split up the measuring duties, there were only 2 because I used a box mix. I gave a little instruction and they listened.
What did you and your kids do for dinner this week? Share photos, stories or recipes that include your #kidsinthekitchen. I would love for you to join me and my co-hosts, Paula at Frosted Fingers and Sara at Sensibly Sara, each week linking up a post, new or old, that feature the theme Kids in the Kitchen. It doesn’t matter what you are doing as long as you are doing it together and enjoying it and learning something.
- preparing healthy snacks
- having a tea party
- counting skills with m&ms
- pouring from measuring cups
- discovering a local restaurant that your kids love
- creating new family friendly recipes
Don’t have a blog, then share a photo you uploaded to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Share whatever you have, we want to see it.
1. Link up only your kid friendly recipes, stories, pictures or cooking lessons here.(No Etsy stores or giveaways please).
2. Link directly to a specific post, update or tweet not your homepage.
3. Please add a Kids in the Kitchen button or link on your site or blog post or share through social media so readers know you are participating.
4. Click through and comment, pin, like, tweet or share with other participants. We love to share inspiration and ideas with each other, don’t link and run.
I can’t wait to see all of the fun food themed ideas, excursions and photos you have to share.